Friday, July 27, 2012

Being a part of the bigger picture

I recently got in the habit of jotting down ideas, aspirations and personal notes as soon as they cross my mind. I don't want to forget them. Why? Because I want to act on my thoughts and ideas. I want to carry out these visions in my life so I can never say, "gee I never had the opportunity to do x, y, and z." In the past year my journey of self exploration has really allowed me to take a look at my life and begin to navigate my own future. Constantly reminding myself of my goals in life have helped me seek the stepping stones that arise in front of me at a given moment. Instead of just taking routes blindly as many young adults do, my eyes are open and on the prize!

The other day, I tried to pinpoint when this self exploration began but I couldn't. I believe it was solidified in the last year and a combination of being in a cast of dancers and singers and feeding off of their inspiration and drive, as well as several books and articles focusing on the power of the self. Going further into the past, I also believe that this could have been birthed/stemming from back in college. When I made the decision to leave UMD and return to NY for my last 2 years of college, I really took hold of my life. I still sometimes can't believe how mature I was to not only apply and get accepted to another school, but more importantly, to have the realization that I wasn't in the right place. I was only 19 and kept to myself until I got the acceptance email! From there I think the sense of "you're on your own" began to kick in because I wanted to prove that I did in fact make the right decision.

So yes, now I have a degree in Communications, and yes I definitely have a dream of working for an organization or company "behind the scenes" but first, I want to dance. As I navigate through that world, I also keep an eye out for my future down the road. I've come across the idea of working in the health and fitness world, definitely (or rather hopefully) for an organization that promotes these subjects. There's also the world of fashion. But today, I've been inspired to expand that list to include, the Olympics. I'm sitting here watching the opening ceremony and I'm truly moved. What a way to unite the world. Moreover, this opening ceremony is a salute to theater. It boggles my mind how well thought out and planned this is. How, I'm assuming, locals(doctors and nurses for the GOSH section) have united to participate. It's also, as opposed to other years, not a spectacle. I'm a dancer, and I love to watch dance, but wow how much more complicated it is to have to choreograph pedestrian movement. I love seeing turns, jumps, and leaps, but I'm LOVING seeing the acting and simplicity of movement to illustrate an idea. Visions don't always have to be executed with difficult moves.

Ok, I just sidetracked but what I'm saying, in terms of career choice. I want to be a part of a bigger picture. Somewhere that has a positive impact on lives around the world. What a feeling to see the anticipation rising from around the world as we get closer to another Olympics. There's SO much planning involved, I want to be a part of that. Even the commercials from sponsors are impressive! That's another thing, the Olympics is sponsorship-based. It unites the world. What other event includes almost everyone in this universe??
Once again not proof reading this, my goal continuing forward is to be reminded of the bigger picture in life.

No comments: