Tuesday, April 14, 2009

My First Callback

While it is still fresh in my mind, I need to talk about today's audition. I auditioned for the Norwegian Cruise Line today at Ripley Grier. I love those studios so much more than Chelsea. Yea Chelsea Studios is nicer in terms of the actual studio, but the atmosphere at Ripley Grier is nicer.

I believe we were auditioning for a specific show and the choreographer was Patricia Wilcox. Now immediately when she said this, I recognized her name but didn't know from where. It bugged me all day and I finally goggled her and realized she teaches at Steps. I knew I knew her name from somewhere. I loved her choreography so I plan on taking her at some point.

Anyways...what was different from my usual auditions was that I was incredibly calm. I was in the second group, number 39, and was pretty relaxed throughout. Even when the first group was going and girls were peaking in and discussing the combo, I chose to ignore it and just wait for my turn. I think I really loved this combo because it was more of jazz dance that felt like modern dance. Her images were basically describing us as getting ready to pounce and that was just what the choreography was like. It was very animalistic and empowering. I loved it. While we were doing the choreography she sought me out and commented that I should watch my focus at this one part. I kept that in mind and combined with a love of the choreography and no nerves, I got a callback. I couldn't believe it. But really what I couldn't believe was the still calm demeanor I had. I thought if I ever got a call back I would scream or jump up and down but no I just accepted what was said and thought about the next task.

I'm happy that I finally reached the next level. It's a confidence booster. I've been to a handful of auditions but never been able to get over that hump, the callback. Finally being able to do so was rewarding in and of itself. Well, I still had other things to do so I went to school and then went to the callback at 4pm. This time it was weird. We went over the same combo that we had done before and then did it again for them. It was really surprising because other people commented that usually you do something different. Now after this one I didn't get the second callback. Maybe I wasn't what the were looking for but I was so happy that I was actually in an environment that I enjoyed. I wasn't nervous or worried about what was going to happen, I just went with the flow.

I hope I have more auditions like that because they are reassuring. To me, it's not about the fact that I didn't get past the 2nd callback, I got past the first and as of now that's what I'm working on.

No comments: