Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Starting Over

I'm going to try this again and actually attempt to post on a frequent basis. Right now I'm on Spring Break and, although I planned to do work every day, I'm finding it hard to actually get my work started. I have so much to do and so much to think about that my mind is on overload.

Today I'm going to see In The Heights with my mom and sister. I had been dying to see this since it opened but never had the courage to ask one of the "connections" I had if he could get me tickets. I always feel weird in those situations becuase I don't want the person to think I'm using them. Well it doesn't matter now since my mom ended up getting the tickets. I'm really excited to see this because I want to eventually audition for this show and they do recommend you see it first.

On the topics of auditions, I have gone to some but not all that I could be. It's April and I have no offical plans after graduation which isn't good. SO, I'm literally going to start putting the wheels in motion and getting my face out there. If I want to dance, I'm going to have to go out there and get it. That being said I'm going to my first agent audition on Saturday...along with everyone and their mother. Yes, that discourages me that there will be so many people but I'm gonna try and look past that because that is the very thing that intimidates me and prevents me from getting to the next level.

Considering this the beginning of a new start, I'm not going to harp on the past. ....well, TRY not to harp on the past. I will post my thoughts on In The Heights sometime tonight or tomorrow. I hope I enjoy it! The only reason I say that is because of certain other popular show that I saw and did not enjoy as much as I thought I would. I may be the only person on the planet that did not greatly enjoy Billy Elliott. It was good; I won't deny that but I was so disconnected from it. The best way I can describe it? To me, it felt like a movie on stage. Now that's neither a good or bad thing. The problem I had was calling it a musical. Yes there are songs and there is dancing but it felt more like a play to me. The music wasn't memorable or something that I'd want to buy and hear later on(being a merchandise sellar made me wonder how on earth they would be able to sell that CD). I really enjoyed the movie and I think if I was intending on seeing a play I would've really enjoyed it. But, I intended on seeing the typical happy-go-lucky, bright lights type musical. I will say though that because it seems to be a musical in its own category, I will applaud its attempt at a "new" definition of a musical. Sure fooled me.

No comments: