Saturday, May 23, 2009

All The Way

I'm going to have to make 2 entries because I have so many things to talk about but don't want to put it all in one post.

Rewind a few weeks:

Following the Radio City call, the following Monday I went to the Norwegian Cruise Line audition. I wasn't too nervous beforehand. Lately, when I got to auditions I'm usually calm before hand; it's dependent on the atmosphere at the audition of whether or not I will be nervous. From the moment I stepped into the studio I knew I was going to have fun. The choreographer was incredibly high spirited and it felt as if he was most interested in us enjoying ourselves and getting into the movement. I loved that. I felt like I was on a team again and our coach was getting us ready for competition.

The combination brought flashbacks to dance teams in the past because of the speed and precision of the movement. My body had to basically wake itself up and remind itself how to move in that manner. Once I started to understand the movement, I really got into it. It was a lot of fun and not THAT many people. That was most shocking to me but maybe that was due in part to the fact that there were 2 days of auditions and you were only needed at one. I want to say there were about 50people there. Of course we were packed in the room but I didn't mind for the most part.

We did the combination a lot and only a few with music since we kept messing it up with our thumping feet when we lept!...leaped?..whatever. But the choreographer was so into it that he just made his own beats and that was awesome.

After splitting into groups a few times, we auditioned, I forget, maybe 4 at a time. I felt pretty good about the combination for the most part but I used facials (that is a shocker for me; I've been working on that!) to help add to the movement. Thankfully, I made it past the first cut. I think there were about 15-20 of us after the cut and we immediately moved on.

Another "thanks" is needed because THANKFULLY, I've been taking tap at Ailey and low and behold the next part was just a quick tap combo, in jazz shoes, to see if we could imitate it. I did pretty well. I loved it! I was so happy because a few of the auditions I've been to have had tap elements in them and I've been able to hold my own. Yay! After the tap we did the combination again and then split into trios and danced on camera. We also went through the whole "say your name, where you are from, etc" schpeel(sp?)

Once we finished they gave us the rundown of life on the ship and the next process before getting on the ship. Everyone was so nice and it was such a comfortable atmosphere; it felt like we were our own little cast already. I had a great time!

Moving up to last week, I got to see West Side Story! Thank you Danielle! I was soo soo happy because I wanted to see it so bad. I absolutely loved every minute of it. It was very sad though but I appreciate the artistic ending even past the curtain call with the somberness that occured onstage.

I loved the choreography and exactness each dancer has with their movement. They were all incredibly sync; and from what I've heard about the choreographer, its no surprise. They looked great. And, can we please talk about the amazingness that is Karen Olivo. I really hope she gets the Tony Award! I've seen her progress so much from BKLYN to In the Heights to West Side Story. She is truly making a name for herself on Broadway.

And now on to the next post....

No comments: