Saturday, May 23, 2009

Next stop, the real world

Well, this was what my blog was for and now it's finally here. I've officially graduated from Marymount Manhattan College with a BA in Communications! Yesterday I attended the Baccalaureate and Graduation Ceremony and received my "diploma." It's not really a diploma but actually just the cover with a note that says in 90 days I will receive my actually documentation proving my graduation. It was even more exciting to have my family and friends there with me to witness such a big event.

As much as this is a monumental moment, I've been very relaxed. Graduating doesn't come as a surprise but actually a natural progression. The timing is right. I was able to transfer and still graduate on time and I'm really happy about that; that was something that was really important to me.

I just realized that I must comment on the speakers who addressed our graduating class. Aside from teachers we also had honorees such as Carla Harris and one of the heads of Channel 13, can't remember his name. They, in addition to our valevictorian and guest speaker were so motivational. All of them stressed the importance of making a difference in the world and how we had the power to do so. After hearing that so much I began to believe that that is possible and attainable given the success of the speakers. I feel like I hear all the time that we have the power to change but I don't usually listen to it enough to actually believe it. I left the graduation feeling really motivated to go after my dreams and enjoy my life. I guess because this is truly the moment in life where change occurs that I feel I have the ability to "make it happen." I'm ready. I don't want to look back and say that I didn't get to do a laundry list of things; now is the time.

This last week has also marked an end to seeing many of my closest friends because of both graduations and the end of the Ailey school year. Some of my friends are flying home to their prospective countries with no current intent on returning to America besides a vacation in the future. It's sad because aside from being friends with them, many were subjects in my senior thesis that focused on International Dancers and their journey to America for dance education and training. I became so much closer with them as I learned about their various backgrounds and individual journey's to America for the same goal; to dance. They've each inspired me to look into traveling and seeing the world from a different perspective.

So in addition to graduation fesitivities and getting ready for a family/friends BBQ at my home on LI, this morning I attended the In the Heights workshop at BDC with assistant latin choreographer Luis Salgado. I went last month right after I had seen the show and didn't want to pass the opportunity to attend again. This time my friend Rie came with me. It was even MORE fun than the last time. We learned the opening number from In The Heights.

I appreciate the opportunity to get an insight into a Broadway show and that's what Luis gave us. He didn't just teach us the choreography but actually worked more on giving us an understanding of the characters within the show and what they are fighting for. It was the message behind the movement. I really enjoyed myself so much. Once again its that atmosphere that helps me enjoy myself. Initially it is intimidating to be in the presence of someone who is a sucessful performer but Luis's casual, "Lets Have Fun" approach really helps you relax and just pay attention to enjoying what you are doing in that moment. I'm glad I went.

Now, I'm back on Long Island getting ready for my graduation BBQ tomorrow as my parents frantically try to find a party tent in the event that it rains.

Picture post soon!

No comments: