Monday, October 10, 2011

Is that a no?

Since I've been back in NY, I've been auditioning regularly but have also been applying to, what feels like, a million jobs; thank you craigslist. As I look at the amount of emails my "Sent" box, I wonder how many of my resumes were actually received, read, considered, and rejected. Sounds like a lot but when you don't get a response, you begin to wonder.

With auditions, even if you don't hear from casting, you hear through the grapevine that so-and-so got the gig. If that's not the case, it's still more tangible to believe that someone was a better fit than you, whether you agree or not. With submission via email, if you don't receive a phone call or return email, it's as if you clicked the send button and your resume disappeared into thin air. I am really curious what happens on the other end. Does my email get received, read, but rejected? Does someone actually read my resume and decide that I'm not a good fit or that the previous sender would be better?

I would love to hear from several employers as to what actually happens "on the other side." I always read in the newspaper that there are no jobs and the unemployment rate is rising.  Then, on the next page, there will be an article saying "x" amount of jobs have been approved. Since all that does is confuse me, I'm more interested with what's happened when an employer receives resumes and cover letters. It's not about the college diploma, that's almost always a given even when some of the jobs I see and submit for don't list high school diploma as good enough . If not that, could it be experience? Here's an example:

I submitted for at least 12 coat check jobs at various clubs/restaurants about 2 weeks ago and heard back from none. I have coat check experience, in a museum, but still, coats are coats. From auditioning, I can only assume that the other submissions were from people with 5+ years coat check experience or just experience from somewhere more appealing than a museum. Since I've gotten no response I'm left playing a guessing game as to why I haven't heard back or just forgetting that I ever submitted. The other possible idea is that employers pick the first "x" amount that fit the description, delete the rest, and don't look to see what they may have missed. Considering that the majority of jobs I apply to are from craigslist, I could see this as a possible reason for not hearing back. Either way, this topic is one that plagues me every time I get ready to submit my resume for an entry-level type job. Let's not even get into the amount of frustration felt by those who were previously at the top of the chain, lost their job, and are now over qualified.

No comments: