Thursday, September 4, 2008

Day 2, I'm already slacking off

It's the second day of this journal and I already feel like I won't be able to write an entry every day. I envision the loads of work piling up in my room as teacher's hand out their syllabi. It seems this semester has the potential to be really good, as long as I a m constantly alert and can keep up with the readings for class.

Today seemed like my actual first day of school because I started in the morning and it was a series of classes. First, I had "Deconstructing the American Family." This course seems very promising but the downfall is the amount of background information that we as students need to grasp before we can analyze and apply what we are learning. Basically we are challenging the ideology of the "American family." It will be interesting to listen to different perspectives and acquiring the ability to rethink our roles in society. I'm excited for the course but a bit nervous because we have about 7 books to get for the class. They are not small books, by the way. This is a class that I really feel I will have to stay on track with the readings in order to know and understand the class.

After, I had Special Topics- Martin Scorcese. This also seems like a great class. The teacher is really passionate about Martin Scorcese and his works which in in turn gets the students a bit more motivated about the topic. I dont know much about Martin Scorcese but I do like film analysis so this can work. A minor downfall is that we had to get the several movies and watch them since we will only discuss bits and pieces in class. Let us add this stress to my already accumiliating load of work.

Finally, my last academic class was Natural Disasters and the Environment. As lame as this may sound, the class seems like it could be very informative. I already started reiterating infomation thatI learned in class. It's surprisingly fascinating and definitely useful in today's slowly deteriorating world. We are going to focus on 4 case studies that deal with pivitol disasters in our world. I look further to gaining an understanding of the environment and being able to answer the many questions I have about mother nature.

Overall, this semester is looking very good. I just need to not leave things to the last moment.

No comments: